|    Back to the CRT page    |  F&M Home

Lambeth Bridge Photos

Bridge Incidents:

A ghostly event near the bridge is the re-enactment of the murder of George Villiers, the Duke of Buckingham (1592-1628). who was stabbed to death on 23 August 1628 near where Lambeth Bridge currently stands. Every year at 5am on 23 August, people gather on the bridge in the hope of seeing the murder restaged in spectral form.

This crossing point of the Thames was the spot where James II threw the great seal of office as he fled from William of Orange in 1688. He believed that without the seal's symbolic authority William would be unable to govern.

Lambeth Bridge Photos

Lambeth Bridge connects several centres of power and government, the Church (at Lambeth Palace), the Monarchy (at Buckingham Palace) and Parliament. Photographs of Lambeth Bridge copyright Ben Amure

Cyberex

Lambeth Bridge

Historical references from the 14th century to a 'great bridge at Lambeth' are actually referring to a giant landing stage, used on ceremonial occasions by Royalty. Permission to build a real bridge between Lambeth and Westminster was first sought from Parliament in 1664 but the archbishop of Canterbury whose London home is Lambeth Palace and who owned the horse ferry was not too pleased about that. After Westminster Bridge was built there was not the same pressing need for another crossing until an act was passed in 1809 authorising the construction of one. Even then insufficient funds to build the bridge meant that the bill eventually lapsed and with three later bids (two in 1828 and one in 1836) failing it was not until 1860 that the Lambeth Bridge Company finally succeeding in obtaining another Act and sufficient funds to build a bridge.

Parliament blocked London County Council's plans for a new 15 metre wide bridge in 1912 but approved a larger replacement in 1924 and also the funding to improve the approach roads. In 1929 work started on the current five-span bridge, designed by George Humphreys, with architectural support from G Topham Forrest and Sir Reginald Blomfield. The bridge is 236 metres long and 18 wide made of steel and reinforced concrete with polished granite facings. Decoration consists of coats of arms of the old London County Council emblem sculptured on the piers. Ornate lamp standards and a nice bit of lattice work (painted red against black) was added later to the parapets. The lamp standards are particularly unusual and involve blue lamps supported by a strange fish motif and a crown positioned on top of the lamps at the approach to the bridge, but not the middle which have less flamboyant lattice work. The iron work is mostly painted red in order to echo the red of the benches in the nearby house of Lord's. The bridge is further enlivened by the pineapples that are festooned on obelisks at the approaches to the bridge. Lambeth Bridge Photos

Reviews of Cross River Traffic here